A private of the 12th east Suffolk Regiment 1795.
The Duke of Norfolk’s Regiment, raised in 1685, became the 12th Foot in 1751, the 12th East Suffolk Regiment in 1782 and Suffolk Regiment in 1881. Among its many battle honours are Dettingen 1743, Minden 1759 and Seringapatam 1799.
The 12th wears the Arms of Gibraltar as its crest in recognition of its part in defending the Rock throughout the Great Siege 1779-1983. After amalgamation with the Royal Norfolk Regiment. It now forms part of the Royal Anglian Regiment.
A private of the 58th Foot 1779.
Raised in 1755 as the 60th Foot, it became the 58th in 1757, the 58th Rutlandshire Regiment in 1782 and the 2nd Bn. Northamptonshire Regiment in 1881. After early battle honours gained in the Americas, the 58th came to Gibraltar and served throughout the Great Siege 1779-1783 for which it was awarded the Arms of Gibraltar as a crest.
It gave heroic service in Egypt 1801. At Salamanca, Burgos, Vittoria and the Pyrenees 1812-1813 it assisted in defeating the French invaders of Spain. It now forms part of the Royal Anglian Regiment.
A private of the 20th East Devonshire Regiment 1793.
Payton’s Regiment raised in 1688, became the 20th East Devonshire Regiment in 1782 and The Lancashire Fusiliers in 1881. Arriving in Gibraltar in 1713 it remained to take part in the glorious defence during the siege of 1727. Among its Battle Honours are Dettingen 1743 and Minden 1759, while at Vimiera, Corunna, Vittoria and the Pyrenees 1808-1813 it earned distinction helping to drive the French out of Spain.
At the landing at Cape Helles Gallipoli in 1915 the 20th gained “Six Victoria Crosses before breakfast”.
The Regiment now forms part of The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
A quartermaster Sergeant of the Army Ordnance Corps 1896.
The Royal Army Ordnance Corps traces its origin to medieval times. The first overseas Ordnance Depot was established in Gibraltar in 1704 following the surrender of the Rock by the Spaniards. Since then it maintained services and supplies, despite great difficulties and throughout the various sieges until 1963 when the Royal Navy took on the task. The Corps, which became a military body in 1865, is still represented in Gibraltar by a Warrant Officer on technical duties. It gained its “Royal” title for outstanding services in the 1914-1918 War.