A fifer of The King’s Own Scottish Borderers in 1770. Raised in Edinburgh in four hours in 1689 to defend the City against James II, and established as The Edinburgh Regiment in 1689. The Regiment became the 25th Foot in 1751 and King’s Own Scottish Borderers in 1887. Among its battle honours are Namur 1695 and Minden 1759. It defended the Rock in the siege of 1727 and the Great Siege 1782-1783.
An officer of the Royal Welch Fusiliers in 1800. Raised by Lord Herbert in 1689, the 23rd Foot has always been connected with Wales. It was Queen Anne who styled the Regiment “Our Royal Regiment of Welch Fuziliers” in 1712. Amongst the twenty nine Battle Honours emblazoned on the Regimental Colour & Namur 1695, Minden, Waterloo, as well as Albuhera, Badajoz, Salamanca and Victoria in the Peninsular War.
A soldier of the 5th Foot circa 1736. The 5th Foot (later the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers) was raised in Dutch service in 1674 from veterans of British units disbanded by Charles II. Arriving from Holland with William III the Regiment joined the English Service in 1688. Among its battle honours are the Boyne 1690, Wilhelmstahl 1762 and twelve in the Peninsular War for actions in Spain against the French. It defended the Rock in the Siege of 1727.
A Private of the First of Grenadier Regiment of Foot Guards in marching order, 1898. Formed in 1656 by King Charles II while in exile in Bruges, the title of Grenadier Guards was granted for great gallantry at Waterloo in 1815. The Regiment’s Battle Honours include Tangier 1680, Gibraltar 1704-1705, and Corunna, Barrosa, and Nive when fighting with Spain against the French int the Peninsular War The Grenadier Guards now have two battalions.